Sunday, December 26, 2010

Happy Boxing Day

Many people spend Boxing Day performing healthy pursuits such as hunting or walking or running up hills. Not us. Oh No Sir; we do Christmas all over again with more people and presents and food and wine and merriment. We like to celebrate Christmas over two days. Actually, we really like to prolong it for about five then, when completely saturated by the whole thing, we stagger into New Year and have a repeat performance. Well, we cannot be accused of not knowing how to enjoy ourselves.

It's my turn for cooking today. Sensible Alison really did a good show yesterday and I thought I would never eat again but, suddenly, I am feeling quite hungry and in need of a gift (and not another stupid teapot). My parents are gracing us with a visit. Although my mother is definitely barmy and can be extremely nasty, she's not a bad present giver. My father is just quietly charming. They don't tend to stay for very long as they are positively Ant and Bee in their buzzing around and I am sure will be going on to annoy another family member for tea after us. So it's a case of "What have you got us? OK you can stay for lunch. Now go." That's how family Christmas visits should be. Mr Smith's mother seems to have moved in.

No comments:

Post a Comment